September 30, 2011

Dinnerware as Art

This is another one of those projects that was sitting around forever before I got around to completing it. I had everything to do it for over a year before I finally go around to it. Kind of silly since it was such a simple project! It's hanging up in my dining room now and I love it! It 's a really easy and inexpensive project, so I thought I'd do a little tutorial on how to make your own.
Supply List
1. One or more wooden picture frames. You can spray paint your frame(s) any color you want, so you don't have to worry about finding matching frames. I got lucky and found all three matching frames at my favorite thrift store in a color I liked all at once, but I've never had that happen to me since!
2. Old silverware. Mine came from a thrift store. It doesn't have to be matching. I intentionally chose different sizes and patters to make it more interesting.
3. Scrapbook paper. I just raided my overflowing and ever growing paper supply. If one of your frames is bigger that 12x12 (standard paper size) make sure you get two pieces of your paper in a pattern that you can match up. The paper on my biggest frame is actually two pieces, you just can't tell because I lined the patterns up.
4. Matte ModPodge. It can be found at a craft store or Walmart craft section.
5. E-6000 clear multi-purpose glue. You can also buy it at a craft store or at Walmart in the craft section.
6. Flat art canvases in sizes to fit in your frames. Sometimes you can find these at Walmart, but they don't always have very many sizes, so you may have better luck at an art supply/craft store.

Step One
Spray paint your frames if desired.

Step Two
You are going to cover your flat canvases in paper. Cut your paper to the same size as your canvas. Brush a coat of ModPodge on the canvas and and lay the paper on top of it. Smooth it out as much as you can. I like to use a brayer for this, but you can use a rolling pin or your hands. Once your paper is smooth, brush another coat of ModPodge on top of it and let it dry.

Step Three
Once the ModPodge has dried, decide on your arrangement of the silverware. When you know the way you want it to be, glue it down with the E-6000 glue. Obviously some of the silverware is not flat, so just put the glue on the parts where the silverware touches the paper. The glue is really powerful stuff, so even if you can only put a bead of glue on the back of the spoon head, it should still stick once it's dry. Make sure you let the glue dry for 24 hours before you pick up the canvas though.

Step Four
Once the glue has dried, but your canvas in the frame. Two of my frames had little staples in them that I could bend to hold the canvases in, but one did not. On the one that didn't I just pulled out my E-6000 again and glued it into the frame. If you need to use glue, make sure you let it dry before hanging it up.

That's all there is to it! I don't know why it took me so long to get around to this project, it was so easy. Hopefully it won't take you as long as it took me! It's a fun and inexpensive way to add some whimsy to your dining room. I'm always getting compliments on it.

If anyone makes dinnerware art, I would love to see it! Post it on your blog and let me know. I'll come check it out and maybe even put a link to your dinnerware art here!

2 comments:

Tanya said...

I love the silverware you chose. Very cute.

Stylish Settings said...

This is a great idea.
Kylie

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails